Protective and synergistic effects of vitamin E and selenium against tissue and oxidative damages induced by cypermethrin in the rat’s testis
| Sayed Amin Mousavi1 , Ali Louei Monfared 2, Nematollah Shakarami3
|1- MSc Student, Department of Histology and Bacteriology, Faculty of Para Veterinary, Ilam University, Ilam, Iran
2- Department of Histology and Bacteriology, Faculty of Para Veterinary, Ilam University, Ilam, Iran , firstname.lastname@example.org
3- MSc, Technician, Department of Histology and Bacteriology, Faculty of Para Veterinary, Ilam University, Ilam, Iran
Abstract: (660 Views)
|Background: Cypermethrin is an insecticide that is widely used in pest control programs. Previous studies have pointed out its harmful effects on the male reproductive system. Therefore, in the present study, vitamin E and selenium were used to protect the testicles from the damage of this poison.
Materials and methods: For this study, 42 adult male Wistar rats were prepared and divided into 6 groups as follows: Control group (without any additive substances); Cyper group (received cypermethrin by gavage at 30 mg/kg for 42 days); Cyper+Vit E group (received cypermethrin in the previous method and simultaneously receiving vitamin E at 100 mg/kg by gavage); Cyper+Se group (received cypermethrin in the mentioned method and simultaneously selenium at 0.5 mg/kg by gavage); Cyper+Vit E+Se group (received cypermethrin, vitamin E and selenium by the above methods) and Vit E +Se group (received only vitamin E and selenium by the above mentioned methods). At the end of the course, the animals were weighed and then anesthetized to take blood to measure hormonal and oxidative stress parameters. Also, tissue slides at 5 microns thick were prepared and stained with H&E and Mallory's trichrome methods.
Results: In the cypermethrin group, the body weight, as well as epididymal weights, testicular cell population, testosterone, LH, FSH levels and also antioxidant enzyme levels were decreased but MDA level was increased. Vitamin E or selenium administration alone could not reverse these changes, but combination of them could induce protection of testis, completely.
Conclusion: The combination of vitamin E and selenium has a synergistic and protective effect against tissue and oxidative damage caused by cypermethrin in the rat’testis
|Keywords: Cypermethrin, Histology, Selenium, Testis, Vitamin E.
Full-Text [PDF 539 kb]
Semi-pilot: Experimental |
Received: 2022/06/12 | Accepted: 2022/08/21 | Published: 2022/12/31
1. Li YF, Pan C, Hu JX, Li J, Xu LC. Effects of cypermethrin on male reproductive system in adult rats. Biomed Environ Sci 2013;26(3):201-8.
2. Abd El-Hameed AM, Mahmoud HS. Cypermethrin induced apoptosis and testicular toxicity by upregulation of p53 in the brain and testis of male rats is alleviated by Sesame oil. J Taibah Univ Sci 2020;14:1, 1342-1349.
3. Wang X, Martinez MA, Dai M, Chen D, Ares I, Romero A, et al. Permethrin Induced Oxidative Stress and Toxicity and Metabolism. A Review. Environ Res 2016; 149:86-104.
4. Wang Q, Shen JY, Zhang R, Hong JW, Li Z, Ding Z, Wang HX, Zhang JP, Zhang MR, Xu LC. Effects and mechanisms of pyrethroids on male reproductive system. Toxicol 2020; 30; 438:152460.
5. Li YF, Pan C, Hu JX, Li J, Xu LC. Effects of cypermethrin on male reproductive system in adult rats. Biomed Environ Sci 2013;26(3):201-8.
6. Abdel Razik RK, Mosallam EM, Hamed NA, Badawy MEI, Abo El-Saad MM. Testicular deficiency associated with exposure to cypermethrin, imidacloprid, and chlorpyrifos in adult rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2021;87: 103724.
7. Hoofnagle JH, Natta ML, Kleiner DE, Clark JM, Kowdley KV, Loomba R, et al.
Vitamin E and changes in serum alanine aminotransferase levels in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2013;38(2): 134-43.
8. Gupta S, Kumar H, Soni J. Effect of Vitamin E and selenium supplementation on concentrations of plasma cortisol and erythrocyte lipid peroxides and the incidence of retained fetal membranes in crossbred dairy cattle. Theriogenol 2005; 1;64(6):1273-86.
9. Hamza RZ, Al-Harbi MS. Monosodium glutamate induced testicular toxicity and the possible ameliorative role of vitamin E or selenium in male rats. Toxicol Rep 2014; 22(1):1037-1045.
10. Wang X and Quinn PJ. Vitamin E and its function in membranes. Prog Lipid Res 1999; 38(4): 309-336.
11. Qu YH, Jian LY, Ce L, Ma Y, Xu CC, Gao YF, Machaty Z, Luo HL. Identification of candidate genes in regulation of spermatogenesis in sheep testis following dietary vitamin E supplementation. Anim Reprod Sci 2019; 205:52-61.
12. Boussada M, Ali RB, Said AB, Bokri K, Akacha AB, Dziri C, El May MV. Selenium and a newly synthesized Thiocyanoacetamide reduce Doxorubicin gonadotoxicity in male rat. Biomed Pharmacother 2017;89:1005-1017.
13. Chavarro JE, Toth TL, Wright DL, et al. Body mass index in relation to semen quality, sperm DNA integrity, and serum reproductive hormone levels among men attending an infertility clinic. Fertil Steril 2010; 93 (7): 2222-31.
14. Kirchhoff KT, Failing K, Goericke-Pesch S. Effect of dietary vitamin E and selenium supplementation on semen quality in Cairn Terriers with normospermia. Reprod Dom Anim 2017;52:945-952.
15. Domosławska A, Zdunczyk S, Nizanski W, Jurczak A, Janowski T. Effect of selenium and vitamin E supplementation on semen quality in dogs with lowered fertility. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2015;59:85-90.
16. Sukmawati Y, Arisanty D, Tofrizal A, Amir A. Vitamin E ameliorates testicular histological features and androgen binding protein levels in testicle of rats induced by allethrin. J Adv Vet Anim Res. 2019; 23;6(4):486-491.
17. Oda SS, El-Maddawy ZKh. Protective effect of vitamin E and selenium combination on deltamethrin-induced reproductive toxicity in male rats. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2012; 64:813-9.
18. Wang XZ, Liu SS, Sun Y, Wu JY, Zhou YL, Zhang JH. Beta-cypermethrin impairs reproductive function in male mice by inducing oxidative stress. Theriogenol 2009; 15;72(5):599-611.
19. Ateşşahin A. The Effects of Vitamin E and Selenium on Cypermethrin-Induced Oxidative Stress in Rats. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2005; 29(2): 385-391.
20. Elsedawi BF, Hussein Y, Sabry MA et al. Effect of fluoxetine on the testes of adult albino rats and the possible protective role of curcumin. Anat Sci Int 2021;96, 187-196.
21. Evans G, Maxwell WMC. Handling and examination of semen. In: Maxwell WMC, editor. Salamon's artificial insemination of sheep and goats. Sydney, Australia: Butterworths; 1987; p. 93.
22. Bancroft J, Gamble M. Theory and practice of histological technique, 6th edn. Churchill Livingston, New York. 2008
23. Abou Elhamd AS, Sumayli S, Steger K, Ali AKM, Zayed AE. Effect of Khat (Catha edulis Forsk) extract on testicular maturation in pre-pubertal and pubertal rats: A morphological and biochemical study. Anat Histol Embryol 2021;50(2):271-283.
24. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem. 1979; 95(2):351-8.
25. Marklund S, Marklund G. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur J Biochem 1974; 16;47(3):469-74.
26. Aebi H. Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol. 1984; 105:121-6.
27. Asadi N, Kheradmand A, Gholami M, Saidi SH, Mirhadi SA. Effect of royal jelly on testicular antioxidant enzymes activity, MDA level and spermatogenesis in rat experimental Varicocele model. Tissue Cell 2019;57:70-77.
28. Anan HH, Zidan RA, Abd El-Baset SA, Ali MM. Ameliorative effect of zinc oxide nanoparticles on cyclophosphamide induced testicular injury in adult rat. Tissue Cell 2018; 54:80-93.
29. Zhang X, Zhang T, Ren X, Chen X, Wang S, Qin C. Pyrethroids Toxicity to Male Reproductive System and Offspring as a Function of Oxidative Stress Induction: Rodent Studies. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2021;12: 656106.
30. Bian Q, Xu LC, Wang SL, Xia YK, Tan LF, Chen JF, et al. Study on the Relation Between Occupational Fenvalerate Exposure and Spermatozoa DNA Damage of Pesticide Factory Workers. Occup Environ Med (2004; 61(12):999-1005.
31. Matsuo N. Discovery and Development of Pyrethroid Insecticides. Proc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci 2019; 95(7):378-400.
32. Nakamura Y, Sugihara K, Sone T, Isobe M, Ohta S, Kitamura S. The in vitro metabolism of a pyrethroid insecticide, permethrin, and its hydrolysis products in rats. Toxicol 2007;235: 176-184.
33. Tyler CR, Beresford N, van der Woning M, Sumpter JP, Thorpe K. Metabolism and environmental degradation of pyrethroid insecticides produce compounds with endocrine activities. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 2000; 19: 801-809.
34. Sanghamitra S, Hazra J, Upadhyay SN, Singh RK, Amal RC. Arsenic induced toxicity on testicular tissue of mice. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2008; 52(1):84-90.
35. Zhang SY, Ito Y, Yamanoshita O, Yanagiba Y, Kobayashi M, Taya K, et al. Permethrin may disrupt testosterone biosynthesis via mitochondrial membrane damage of Leydig cells in adult male mouse. Endocrinol 2007; 148: 3941-3949.
36. Sayed Mostafa. Heba, Samia A. Abd El-Baset, Asmaa A. A. Kattaia, Rania A. Zidan and Mona M. A. Al Sadek. Efficacy of naringenin against permethrin induced testicular toxicity in rats. Int J Exp Pathol 2016; 37-49.
37. Zitzmann M. Effects of testosterone replacement and its pharmacogenetics on physical performance and metabolism. Asian J Androl 2008; 10, 364‐72.
38. El-Shenawy NS, AL Harbi MS, Hamza RZ. Effect of vitamin E and selenium separately and in combination on biochemical, immunological and histological changes induced by sodium azide in male mice. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2015; 67(1):65-76.
39. Sodhi S, Sharma A, Brar APS, Brar RS. Effect of a tocopherol and selenium on antioxi-dant status, lipid peroxidation and hepatopathy induced by malathion in chicks. Pest Biochem Physiol 2008; 90:82-6.
40. Kumar A, Sharma M. (Eds.) Basics of human andrology: a textbook. Springer Singapore, 1st Edition, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-3695-8. 2017.
41. Li DJ, Xu ZS, Zhang ZH, Huang QY. Antagonistic effects of vitamin E on the testicularinjury by cyclophosphamide in mice. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 2006; 12:318-22.
42. Blanco Rodríguez J, Martínez García C. Apoptosis precedes detachment of germ cells from the seminiferous epithelium after hormone suppression by short-term oestradiol treatment of rats. Int J Androl 1998; 21(2):109-15.
43. Aitken RJ, Wingate JK, De Iuliis GN, Koppers AJ, McLaughlin EA. Cis unsaturated fatty acids stimulate reactive oxygen species generation and lipid peroxidation in human spermatozoa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91(10):4154-63.
44. Hozyen HF, Khalil HMA, Ghandour RA, Al-Mokaddem AK, Amer MS, Azouz RA. Nano Selenium Protects Against Deltamethrin-Induced Reproductive Toxicity in Male Rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2020; 408:115274.
45. Ravula AR, Yenugu S. Effect of oral administration of a mixture of pyrethroids at doses relevant to human exposure on the general and male reproductive physiology in the rat. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 2021; 15;208:111714.
|Send email to the article author
|Add your comments about this article
Mousavi S A, Louei Monfared A, Shakarami N. Protective and synergistic effects of vitamin E and selenium against tissue and oxidative damages induced by cypermethrin in the rat’s testis. MEDICAL SCIENCES 2022; 32 (4) :356-367